Perfect alpine destination for a half day hikeExperience stunning views overlooking Queenstown
AT A GLANCE
- Departs: 8am or 1pm from Queenstown
- Season: Nov – Apr, depending on snow levels
- Grade: Easy to Moderate, some off piste
- Duration: Half day (4.5 hours) with transfers from Queenstown
- Walking distance: 2 – 3 hours
- Stunning scenic views overlooking Queenstown
- Lake Alta exploration
- Alpine flowers and flora
- Scenic drive up the Remarkables
- Hotel transfers from Queenstown
- Experienced & qualified guide
- Morning tea or afternoon tea
MORE INFORMATION & ITINERARY
Remarkables Lake Alta Half Day Hike
We will pick you up from your hotel in Queenstown and take a scenic drive up the Remarkable to the ski field car park located at 1600m, about a 45-minute drive from Queenstown which gives us a substantial head start for our hike.
From here, it’s a steady climb up to Shadow Basin at 1900m and we will then traverse across the ridge line. We take in the spectacular views and grab some photos before heading down to Lake Alta – a small alpine lake nestled in the basin.
If we are lucky we may come across the cheeky Kea – an Alpine parrot that is very intelligent and inquisitive. Chamois and deer are also known to be in this area so keep your eyes peeled.
The area is home to the Remarkables Ski Field in the winter season so the plant life is slow growing. It was also the site of many movies – the 1999 movie Vertical Limit and more recently the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.
Your guide will be able to point out the local area and talk about the geology of the Remarkables before we make our way down to the ski field car park and return to Queenstown, stopping at some great vantage spots to enjoy the views.
The walking is relatively easy going however off the rough track it is schist rock and sturdy shoes are required for the uneven surfaces. Although the vistas and endless views are fantastic up there, it can be exposed so warm clothing is definitely recommended whatever the weather.
What to wear and bring for a day hike
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS – Some items we may be able to provide it to you, other items can be hired in Queenstown, please contact us for more informations
- Jacket/Coat – wind and waterproof with hood
- Boots – sturdy, good fit, protected with dressing/polish
- Treking pants/trousers
- Top/ shirt – quick drying sports or hiking tops are best.
Avoid cotton as although cool in the summer, it can be cold when wet or sweaty
- Walking socks
- Warm hat, beanie or balaclava and gloves or mittens
Even in summer the weather can turn cooler in the evenings
- Mid layer pullover: fleece tops or polartec type are ideal (light and quick drying)
Cotton hoodies are not as warm and heavy when wet
- Day pack – ideally with a waterproof liner
Pack should be light, strong and comfortable approx. 20-40 litres to carry your water bottle, sunscreen, insect repellant, camera, snacks and extra clothing/ waterproof
- Drink Bottle
We can normally fill up along the way in streams so 1 litre is normally sufficient
- Personal medication if required
- Insect repellent
- Sunscreen, lip balm and sunhatOPTIONAL SUGGESTIONS
- Gaiters or Puttees – to keep out water and gravel
- Thermals – long sleeved top and long johns (quick drying)
The kiwi way is to wear them under shorts and t shirts
- Over trousers – waterproof and windproof, essential if you get cold quickly
- Blister plasters/band-aid or tape
Although we do carry a first aid kit too
- Camera, spare batteries and spare memory card
- Small day pack for personal items
- Waterproof jacket
- Walking shoes
- Warm clothes (layers are best)
- Insect repellent
- Water bottle
- Gaiters (optional)